Thursday, April 5, 2012

Base Builder or Bass Player?


Life is full of main courses and plenty of side orders.
We have to be in the right place, most of all spiritually,
to choose if we want to eat  them or not.

Jeff played bass guitar so well that he was never without a band. When he was not playing bass, he would DJ at this bar where I worked as a waiter and doorman on late nights. Jeff loved the energy of music and loved to take music in and put it out for others to experience. But there was a side order that came with the main course of music. He made the choice to “eat” alcohol. Who did he eat this side order and main course with? Those who enjoyed the music he played, those who liked to drink, and those who just liked him.  I was two of these three but mostly because I liked him as person.  He had a big heart and honest love for not only music but, more importantly, people.
         
Where did Jeff have his meals of music and alcohol?  He had them in the bar, the club, the studio, his apartment, the car, or on the road touring. These places became the kitchens and dining rooms for this food that was to be cooked up and eaten.  Music and alcohol are extremely powerful; each has the power to control one’s energy and actions.
         
Which one do you think won Jeff over?  In this case, the alcohol took control of Jeff’s energy on two levels, his mind and body.  As a result, it affected his outer actions and interactions with the energy that surrounded him.  Eventually, Jeff began to over eat not only the first side order of alcohol but topped it with drugs. And soon, he had very little to stand on. The little ounces left for him were his spirit and the big heart that I mentioned before. Well, this big heart saved Jeff’s life.  This big heart reminded Jeff that his outer actions were no way to treat himself or anyone surrounding him. Jeff soon became aware of the decision that if he wanted to survive and grow, he needed to make some changes to his outer environment.  So he started to eat at different tables and joined a 12-step program.  Jeff was now aware that he needed to get away from the heat of the old kitchen. He struggled to stay cool and clean, but in time, the negative forces retracted and positives surfaced.
         
What surfaced? A friend of a friend was trying to sell an old house boat in need of some work and repair. So, Jeff accumulated what money he could and made an offer. Soon, Jeff was the captain of his own ship.  During this time, Jeff attended meetings that were a part of his program and worked on his vessel.  He occasionally tasted the food of music.  He worked odd jobs enough to pay for his docking fees.  Every few months, I would get a call from Jeff, and he mentioned how many days he had been clean. But usually, our conversation consisted of the challenges he faced in trying to keep his boat afloat.  I would hear details of what broke, what leaked, what he fixed, and what he needed and wanted to fix. A few times, I remember him calling and telling me the ship was sinking or it had sunk, and he had to be pulled out and taken to another dock.  I would listen to Jeff and his struggles with the boat and think, “It was not the boat he was trying to keep afloat; it was himself.”
         
Time passed, and I did not hear from Jeff, so I became a little concerned.  I lost his number, so I was considering paying him a visit when the phone rang.  It was Jeff, and he said, “Mark it on your calendar. I’m having a Fourth of July party on the boat, and I would love for you to make it.” “That’s fantastic,” I said. “But, last I heard, the boat was sinking. What happened?”  He said, “I realized I was spending all my time and energy taking care of cosmetic things. I was patching this and fixing that, and what I really need to do was rebuild the hull. I redid the base on the boat and did it solid as a rock. This thing won’t be going down again. It’s solid.”  I said, “That’s great. I can't wait to see it. See you on the Fourth.”  After I hung up the phone, I knew Jeff again was talking about more than his boat.
         
At the crack of dawn on the Fourth, I grabbed my paint box and some canvas, and my buddy Peter and I jumped in my old, beat up convertible VW bug and hit the road.
         
As I stepped aboard the boat, it felt solid just as Jeff said. Then I looked at Jeff, and he was just as solid as his boat.  That was all the energy I needed, so I got lost in the nearby town and painted.  When I finished painting, I headed back to the boat.  As I approached the port, I heard the sound of an amplified electric bass, a sound I had not heard in almost two years. I could not get the smile off my face, and when I looked at Jeff, he could not get the smile off his either.  I then gave him one of the two paintings I just completed, and Jeff’s smile stretched even bigger.  A few hours passed, and a few more musicians joined Jeff to play. After some fine tuning, they entertained the entire port, and I continued to feed from this energy and climbed to the roof to continue to paint. I remember looking around while the paint on my canvas was drying, and there were people everywhere on the deck. People were on the roof, in and outside and the boat, and the boat was supporting them with no problem. It was solid.
         
The next Saturday, I was on the streets of SoHo showing and hopefully selling some of my paintings.  I normally do not show any work that is really new because over the years I have gotten in the habit of keeping new work close to me for awhile until I feel I am ready to let them go.  But I had bills to pay, and it just so happened I had one of the paintings that I did at Jeff’s. I felt very strongly about this work, but I unrolled the loose, raw painted canvas and taped it to the glass of a store under construction.  I have seen all kinds of reactions to my work. Some have resulted in sales, while others just have various types of energy shown. But this I had never seen. Within a few hours, most people that walked by commented on that painting. And out of everything I was showing, that painting sold before any. The next morning in SoHo, I was deciding what to show, but this time with a wad of cash in my pocket that would cover most of my bills.  So I didn't have to let go of something I was not ready to say goodbye to.  Although, I was very anxious to see the reactions I would get for the other painting from Jeff’s party. I fixated the painting in a position to show, and to my surprise, the painting sold within a few hours. Now, I have gone weeks, even years before some paintings sell, but to see these two go in a matter of hours surprised me.  That night, I called Jeff and shared my surprise, and he told me how much my attendance at his party meant to him.  I responded by saying, “It was exactly where I wanted to be.”
         

Our choices as to where we want to “eat” (the energy we receive) are crucial in terms of how we grow.  Someone once asked me what the key to painting abstract expressionism was.  My answer is the same for any form of expression, which is about getting to the right place.  This is true not only when you are actually “exercising” but, more importantly, when you are “eating.”  Just look at the energy I was eating on the Fourth of July. As a result, I “exercised” not only on canvas but in my spirit when I showed my paintings on the street.  This is something that always resonated true for me on the street. If I did not feel good about my work, I could not expect anyone else to.
         

I just got a call from Jeff yesterday. He told me he is getting married and will soon be a father.  He also said it is time for him to come off the boat and live on the mainland.  From the tone in his voice, I could tell the waters might be a little rough.  Although, I knew he was going to be fine. Why?  His base is solid.

No comments:

Post a Comment