Thursday, April 5, 2012

Time


It has been about 11 years since I first met my daughter’s mother.  The night we met, we seemed to work. After our first date, we clearly did not.  But for whatever reason, we went on another date, and that time it worked.  This feeling of working and not working went on over time. There were plenty of months where we felt it worked, followed then by a few days it did not.  Then the scale would shift, and a few days it worked and a few months it did not.  Over time, I started to assess if this was a safe place to put my love.  Now, we had a daughter to consider, and during our time with her, we pushed and pulled our emotions and egos until we realized that the environments of these actions were no longer a safe place for us or, most importantly, our daughter.
So, over the years, from going to couples therapy and making various efforts to try and have a relationship, friendship, or just function as a communicating “Mom and Dad,” I knew something would bring me to see the truth in our efforts.  I accessed each other’s actions and felt the energy that lied in the silence, but I still felt as if I came up short in finding what had honestly occurred. This is what leads me to the last leg of the race to finding the truth of a relationship.  It’s time, because seeing action and feeling silence takes time, just as seeing the truth of another does.

How much time, though?  This can only be determined by the sharpness of your “tool of vision”.  The better we are with any tool, the quicker we can get things done, be it a hammer to build a house or our vision to see the truth in another.  With my daughter’s mother, it has taken me some time to know the truth, but along the way, my vision has become much sharper.

No comments:

Post a Comment