Thursday, April 5, 2012

Naturally Beautiful


         What is it about a person whose characteristics shine so bright that he or she makes a group feel “this person” is beautiful in one way or another?  This opinion is a result of a kind of beauty whereby the inner vibrations from one’s soul are released, and as a result, others’ opinions and feelings of beauty begin to form around “this person.”  Many times the feelings and opinions of the group can agree on the topic of beauty, but a lot of people get intimidated by beauty, especially their own.  Beauty can be a very powerful entity, so powerful that it can scare away the most courageous people.
          Often people are unaware of their true self-beauty because it is buried well below their conscious levels.  Many of us spend a lot time and energy trying to find beauty on the outside rather than what has been permeating within.  Although it is important to have the ability to find beauty in all of nature’s creations, the time and energy we allocate to this can be detrimental and distracting from finding our own internal beauties.  We cannot expect to see real beauty in another if we don't feel at least an ounce within ourselves.
          Finding both beauty and balance leads us to knowing “when” or “when not” to take ourselves too seriously.  Those who do not take themselves too seriously are usually beautiful.  Usually, there is an understanding and contentment present internally and there is no need to point one’s own beauty out in a mirror.  People that surround them will just feel the beauty.  Just ask anyone, especially a woman who is looking for a mate or a date.  Most would agree that sense of humor is one of the highest priorities in the search.   It is so hard to have a sense of humor when we take ourselves too seriously and equally hard to be at our best.  However, this does not mean we should not take what is outside of us seriously.  I look back to many of the people who have achieved some amazing tasks.  Often, these people seem to be at their best when they did not necessarily take themselves too seriously but rather took in all that was involved in the task.
           
I used to witness a guy occasionally come to my place of work, and each time he arrived, all eyes were on him and his every move.  I would also watch him over the years through his ups and downs, but mostly ups.  There were times when he would step foot in my work place and he was a team player, and other times he was a leader. As time passed, he became a boss.  As I observed him more extensively, I began to feel he was at his very best when he took himself less seriously. But what he did take seriously was the people he worked alongside, the task at hand, and all the details surrounding these two.  As a result, when he was at his best, he was "the best.”

A day came when I was on the job and directing a camera that was to shoot all the “big names” in the room (the room is known as the Madison Square Garden).  So after retiring, this guy came back to visit, and it was my job to expose him to the sell-out crowd who hoped to watch him on the jumbo screen in the middle of the arena.  I walked up to him and introduced myself and said, “If it is okay, I’d like to get a shot of you. I feel everyone here would love to see you.”  Graciously, he chuckled and said, “I think you have the wrong guy. You want that one over there,” and he pointed four or five seats down from him.  I played along, as I now approached the guy he pointed out. It was the actor Samuel L. Jackson, and I said to him, “The guy down there tells me that you are the one everyone wants to see here.”  He quickly looked at who pointed him out and responded, “No, there is only one, and it is that guy they all want to see” as he pointed back down the row.  I walked over and said, “I think you’re the only Michael Jordan.”  Within moments, he was on the big jumbo screen, and the place roared as it rose to its feet, as did Michael Jordan as he laughed and waved in appreciation.  As the game resumed, I told him, “I knew I had the right guy.”  He chuckled as I headed over to another fan. 

I reflected on this moment realizing that yet again Michael Jordan, as many “greats,” are at their best when they take their game, their fellow players, their audience, their coach, and others “seriously.” But, they just don’t take themselves too seriously.

Most enjoy to be surrounded with the smile of humor.
 It is like the fresh air that we love to breathe with all our senses. 
 I feel laughter is a form of meditation
that can increase our flow of oxygen. 
When anyone is able to have this flow,
we are able to embrace beauty,
be it in ourselves or others.

No comments:

Post a Comment