Thursday, April 5, 2012

Free Meal


         Soon after I started to access my awareness, I started to think twice about the “free meals” I was offered.  These free meals would come in various ways, tempting my senses and different facets of my life.  It could be a person, piece of music, technology, an invite to an event, or even a job.  The list goes on and on.  I reflected on some of the free meals I have been offered and how powerful our “word” is and how sometimes just one sentence can be a free meal that changes the courses of our lives.

When I was going into my last year at NYU film school, I was offered a “free meal” by a friend. “Paul,” she said. “I can get you permission to shoot a film at Madison Square Garden.”  So I wrote a film about a guy who sneaks into Madison Square Garden to live out his dreams of playing on the court. I handed the script to faculty, and they approved the work under the assumption that I had permission to shoot on the court of Madison Square Garden.  It turned out that my friend lost her inside connection. There I was with full approval from the department, equipment, partial funding and without a location. 
         
Trying to find a resourceful solution to my lost connection, I quickly applied and was hired to answer questions and rip tickets at the entrance to the arena. I tried my best to make contacts with whoever passed who happened to work in the front office, but this angle did not work.  I took a direct approach and was told it would cost $20,000. to shoot on the court.  My fellow employees knew my dilemma and encouraged me to try and speak to Dave Checkets, the president of the building. They told me he shows up every year to the employee Christmas party. The day of the party arrived. I approached him and began to explain my situation.  He seemed a tad bit confused, but he gave me a name of someone to contact.  I called this person and they asked to see some previous work and the script I had written.  Now, the faculty was mounting pressure on top of me because there were other projects they wanted to approve.  Finally, the “Garden” called and said I could get one hour to shoot, but I had to follow all the building rules.  When the day came to shoot, I had to work fast, and we shot all we could. 
         
The film turned out “okay.” I mailed a copy to the “Garden” and graduated.  In the months to come, I still worked at the Garden ripping tickets while writing the screenplay play for what I hoped to be my first feature.  I then packed my bags to move to Hollywood to see if I could get my first film made.  Then I received a call from the Knicks. “Paul, we would like you to come down to talk to us about something.” At first, I thought I was in trouble, knowing all the building rules I knew I had broken, so I was not going meet with them.  But I thought, “Let me hear what they have to say.”  I went, and they offered me a job as a director of the camera to shoot fans and celebrities attending the games.  I accepted, and for the next ten years of my life, the “free meal” that was offered lead to feeding off a new energy, learning lessons in yet another school.
         

As for this past “free meal,” I was blessed that it gave me what I need to grow in a positive direction.  Although as I headed further into the future, I began to check the needs of whatever is offered.  I would ask myself, “Is it the right nourishment for me?”  In addition, I looked toward the motivation of the giver as well as myself.  Sure at times it was helpful to taste because sometimes you do not know unless you try.  The more I became in touch with my intuition, the more I was able to “edit out” a lot of unnecessary free samples.  Many times, I was prey to these situations when I was either in a more desperate situation or my emotional batteries were running low, and I thought the free meal presented itself to give me the charge I thought I needed. As a result, I made some poor choices, as we all do at times.  I had to realize and value the fact that this free meal is going into my mind, body, and spirit, and it is my choice as to whether I or the ones in my life truly need it or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment